Healthier People Drink More Water!
Did you know that dehydration is one of the leading causes of obesity and sickness? At Stanford Chiropractic Center, we’d like to discuss a few diseases and health matters that can be prevented, or improved, with proper water intake. You wouldn’t believe what a simple thing to be more aware of can do to improve your system! Water is the most vital source of energy for the body. Dehydration causes the body to slow down, which can lead to extreme fatigue.
- Lack of water can cause high blood pressure! On average, our blood is made of 92% water when properly hydrated. When you lack water, it causes the blood to become thicker and more resistant to movement and mobility.
- Staying hydrated can also improve your asthmatic and allergy symptoms. When you are dehydrated, your body will restrict airways in order to conserve water. Studies have shown that histamine (which causes allergies) are known to increase greatly the more we lose water in our bodies.
- Do you suffer from high cholesterol? Drinking more water can help with your cholesterol, too. When the body is lacking water, it produces more cholesterol in order to prevent water loss in the cells.
- Digestive disorders can also be put to rest, or at least significantly improved by making sure your body has enough water. Water contains alkaline materials such as calcium and magnesium, which are essential in fighting digestive disorders like ulcers and acid reflux disease.
- You can also protect your bladder and kidneys by properly hydrating your body. Water can help flush out toxins and other acidic waste that can harm and infect the bladder and kidneys.
- Hydration isn’t just important for your vital organs, but your appearance, too. Proper hydration can help eliminate toxins through the skin, allowing prevention of disorders like dermatitis and psoriasis. It can also prevent premature wrinkling and discoloration of the skin.
- If you are worried about your weight, drinking more water can help gain energy to work off unwanted fat. When you are dehydrated, your brain can mistake being thirsty as being hungry, causing you to eat more and gain more weight. Drinking two 8-ounce glasses of water a day before breakfast, lunch, and dinner can help you not only lose weight, but keep it off.
Remember, your blood is 92% water, your bones are 22% water, and your muscles are 75% water! It’s more important than you think to stay hydrated! If you are looking to improve your health and learn more about proper nutrition, call (650) 326-7000 today to make an appointment. At Stanford Chiropractic Center, our talented chiropractors can help you achieve optimal health and wellness.